Sunday, June 6, 2010

John Muir & the Pacific Northwest

So a month or so ago I was Google-ing John Muir and found this website where you can read the majority John Muir’s writings (http://www.yosemite.ca.us/john_muir_writings/ - if you are interested!). There I found the book Steep Trails in which he talks about areas of the Pacific Northwest, including Puget Sound, Mount Rainier, and other areas of Washington, in other words MY HOOD. See look what he says, “Tacoma occupies near the head of the Sound a site of great natural beauty” (Steep Trails, 178). YES! Since having discovered this, I have purchased the book (I visited Portland and went to Powell’s Books, not only was that the most books I’ve ever seen in my entire life but the most John Muir books I have ever seen in one place – HEAVEN! Slash completely overwhelming…) I have always had PNW pride, but since having discovered that John Muir could have possibly walked on the same ground as me, makes me even more enthusiastic about living here. He also climbed Mount Rainier!! In The National Parks they talk about Muir’s trip to Washington, and his visit to Mount Rainier, and they mention this line from a letter he wrote to his wife… “Did not mean to climb it, but got excited, and soon was on top” (“The Scripture of Nature”). I like that this quote shows how nature had absolute control over him and would make him do things he didn’t intend to. Gah! Why is he so cool?!

No comments:

Post a Comment